I am Amber Bedford, and I am talent-less! Follow my ever-growing impossible and down right cringey journey to find my talent!

Thursday 18 April 2013

Week Twelve - Cycling

In year five, I went on a week long school trip to Wales to take part in a series of group activities and sports.
It was during this venture that I had my first trip to a hospital since I'd been born. 
Whilst mountain biking one afternoon, I decided to be a bit of an idiot on my bike which resulted in me toppling off head first, cracking my helmet in half and spraining my neck. 
Luckily, living in the flatness of the Fenland's, I've never since had any run in's with bikes and hills. Until this week. 


Bishops Cleeve is a village near Cheltenham in the south-west of England and home to the 'Cleeve Hill'
A bit of a theme with me is thinking I can do things that are clearly too advanced for my talent-less self. This time around, I had assumed that the 8 weeks on the bike at the gym, the previous summer had been enough practise for me to climb a 25% incline hill. Not so smart.

Seven minutes in and I already made my first stop, to re-hydrate. Although I was already panting and had a slight sweat on I carried on.
However, this was a different story about 10 minutes later. I had not only given up riding the bike but I had also given up with the bike completely and it had to be dragged up by someone else. Even walking up this hill was a challenge for me!
I suppose technically I should of called this post 'walking' but that would be a very low point of life if walking was my only talent.

When we finally hit the top and the sun started to poke through a little, I have to say it was worth it.
Also the next day, my ass was rock solid.

Highlight: The ride back, I don't think I touched the pedals once.



Talent Rating - 4/10 If you count wheezing and swearing as a talent then I'd be rather good.

No comments:

Post a Comment