I am Amber Bedford, and I am talent-less! Follow my ever-growing impossible and down right cringey journey to find my talent!

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Week Eleven - THE SKI TRIP day 3-4

Day 3

The first proper day!
The majority of us all awoke to a banging hangover and slightly orange faces from the face paint from the night before, but with ski gear to pick up we all had to man up and move out!
Many of you reading now, I'm sure, have been hungover before in your life and so you can sympathise with me when went I tell you that having to try on insanely tight fitting ski boots in a shop that had it's heating on full whack with a French man standing over at you judging you and your hangover sweats is NOT the ideal way to start your holiday.
Eventually I made it out and pain au choclat-ing myself up made my way over to the nursery slopes.

In a previous post, I blogged about a skiing lesson I had and basically, how much I sucked at it. Now for some unknown reason I decided that this one lesson I had had was enough practise for me, so it's fair to say I was feeling slightly apprehensive walking over to the nursery slopes.
Luckily, I wasn't alone with my inability to ski!
The tell-tale signs that this wasn't going to be as easy as expected occurred about 90 seconds into putting my skis on, as I was already on my arse.

The nursery slopes are designed for beginner skiers, and within an hour I'd say I was starting to get rather cocky on them. Having mastered the 'snow plough' on my previous lesson, I was starting to learn how to control my speed and turn.
I was very happy with this progress. Happy enough to agree to a friend of mine giving me an afternoon lesson on an actual slope. BIG MISTAKE.




This certain friend of mine and I got a cable car and took the 5 minute journey up to the mountain. Getting out the other side, the visibility was not good, and there were 2 arrows; one was blue and one was red.
Luckily (I thought) I was going down the blue and I'd say for the first 20 minutes I was ok, fell over (and struggled to get back up) a lot but was slowly getting down.
It was somewhere around the 20th fall and with the view of plenty more steep slopes on the horizon, that something inside me snapped. I could not do it anymore, I wanted to get off this stupid mountain. I had also completely buggered up my left knee and foot.
The next 4 hours consisted of a mixture of me crying, being skied down slopes by my extremely talented friend (yes, you George) and sliding down the mountain on my bum.
When we eventually got to the bottom, I was half the woman I was at the top of the mountain! I was also told later that night that this slope was more of a red than a blue!



What I needed to distract me from this horrendous afternoon was copious amounts of alcohol and luckily for me it was two peoples birthdays!
The theme tonight: Slutty Hogwarts - so basically slutty schoolgirl with a scar on your forehead.



The highlight of this night was the fire shots we had at a club called Malaysia. Literally drinking a shot (god knows what it was) on a bar which was on fire with a straw. Those crazy French!




Quote of the day ' All I ever wanted in the world was for everyone to be nice' 
                                                                                                 A sober Kate Hodson


Day 4

Today I woke up with a lot more than a few achy muscles and a slight hangover. The flu had come for me!

Unfortunately the whole of today consisted of me laying in bed fluctuating between being freezing cold and boiling day. A very trippy day.
The only point I did leave my bed was to go eat a crème fraiche pizza and be served by an extremely rude French man (who I still tipped, damn my conscience.)

It was also by this day that I noticed that people were started to blame everything, and I mean everything, on the altitude.
Here's a list of things the altitude apparently affected;

- Drunk levels
- Tooth aches
- Hangovers
- Loss of breath
- Hair softness
- Bigger boobs
- Sexual tension
- Bloating
- Sleepiness
- Hunger levels
- Sex drives
- Anger towards snow

Today was also our first day of 'court.' For our society, if you do something stupid then you are taken to court, where the committee decides on a punishment worthy of your stupidity. Unfortunately, due to being ill, I wasn't able to attend but crimes worthy of punishment ranged from apparent 'bus blozzas' to ski poles being snapped so therefore duct taped to the persons head.

Check back tomorrow for posts about day 5-6!

No comments:

Post a Comment