I am Amber Bedford, and I am talent-less! Follow my ever-growing impossible and down right cringey journey to find my talent!

Monday 11 March 2013

Week Nine - Tie Dye

Once upon a time, the only people to wear tie dye were ‘free spirited’, hippy wannabes and 8 year olds with cheap parents. Now you can’t walk by a vintage shop or an ironically cool club without seeing at least 8 hipsters sporting some kind of tie dye garment.

However, due to being poor, I haven’t bought new clothes in about 4 weeks and am now bored of everything in my wardrobe, so this week I'm giving it a go.

I begin with a basket full of bleach, a concerned looking checkout assistant and some very awkward ‘addict’ jokes from me. 
After the most embarrassing shopping purchases ever (and I've once tried to explain why I'd bought baby oil, wine and a screwdriver at the same time) I headed back home to get my tie dye on.



Picking out a bright orange (some would say amber) coloured t shirt that hasn't been worn since I thought I could pull off the colour, I set to tying my bands to my top.
There are a few different ways you can tie your tops depending on what 'look' you want to achieve.

- Pebble dash - Using different sized and shaped stones tie them in different places on your top securing them with bands.
- Lined - Roll your top either horizontal and vertical (depending on what stripe looks better on you), tie your bands securely up the roll between relatively similar spaces.
- Spiral - The classic look for you tie dyers! Pinch the middle of your top (around the chest area) and scrunch it into a roll. Securely tie as many bands as you want down the roll.

Put your top in a plastic bowl or container (probably something you're not going to eat out of) and squirt bleach over them. I used around half a bottle of toilet bleach and left for about 15 minutes.
When you're happy with your colour, take it out and rinse the top under warm water basically until you can be bothered.



Talent rating - 7/10 not sure if I was relatively good at this or if I was just high from bleach...


The end product!

Afterthought: How on earth do I wash this? Can I put it in the washing machine?

No comments:

Post a Comment